This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Having links open as a new tab in an existing IE8 window

Sep 11, 2009 at 10:49 PM
Edited Sep 11, 2009 at 10:59 PM

When I click a link, and chose IE (8) as the browser in which to open the link, a new IE8 window appears. This doesn't happen with FireFox or Opera, the links open up in existing browser windows as new tabs.

This may be an IE setting that I have to change, or maybe I can pass a command line switch that will open it as a new tab... any ideas?

Coordinator
Sep 14, 2009 at 12:34 AM

If there is a command line option for IE8 (and I'm not sure if there is), then it could be included in the Target textbox in the settings.

Developer
Sep 14, 2009 at 8:19 PM

This is due to your IE tab settings.

1. Tools -> Internet Options
  2. Open links from other programs in: A new tab in the current window

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Hm... that would seem like a very relevant setting (which I had never seen before), but it looks like I had it set to that value to begin with. I changed it, changed it back, then saved it... but I still experience the same behavior: a new window always opens when I click a link and select IE as the browser.

Sep 30, 2009 at 4:51 PM
moskie wrote:

Hm... that would seem like a very relevant setting (which I had never seen before), but it looks like I had it set to that value to begin with. I changed it, changed it back, then saved it... but I still experience the same behavior: a new window always opens when I click a link and select IE as the browser.

FWIW - me too.  Win7 64-bit, running 32-bit IE.

Oct 8, 2009 at 10:01 PM
phammond wrote:
moskie wrote:

FWIW - me too.  Win7 64-bit, running 32-bit IE.

Same here, Win2k8R2, 32 bit IE.

Oct 11, 2009 at 10:09 PM

On Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit RTM, my IE is set exactly like that - b/c that is how I like it - however, BC always opens a new IE window.

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:44 AM

I cant find it now but i beleive they are HKCU reg keys that store the info. I can only see that being modified before executing the page load, then reverting the setting back to work.
This would be great to have 2 buttons for each browser (atleast for the 5 common ones where you can choose new window or tab.

Firefox command arguement:

Opens Firefox in private browsing mode, regardless of the current user preference. Firefox 3.6 and later only.
-new-tab <var>URL</var>

Open <var>URL</var> in a new tab. Firefox and SeaMonkey2.x only.
-new-window <var>URL</var>

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Command_Line_Options

Hope that helps,

Ivan

Jun 26, 2011 at 4:26 PM

-private

Opens Firefox in private browsing mode, regardless of the current user preference. Firefox 3.6 and later only.

-new-tab <var>URL</var>

Open <var>URL</var> in a new tab. Firefox and SeaMonkey2.x only.

-new-window <var>URL</var>

Open <var>URL</var> in a new window. Firefox and SeaMonkey2.x only.

This is the way it is written in that page - the description is *under* the setting.

However, with BC and Firefox you can automatically specify that by adding the command *only* to the end of executable location, as in

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla\Firefox\firefox.exe -new-window

because BC still sends the URL to that command line entry.