This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Use URL Filters to automatically choose a browser

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Hello:

In the IETab plug-in for Chrome and Firefox there is the concept of using URL filters to automatically trigger which URLs are opened with the plug-in rather than in the native browser.

Would it be possible to add this feature to Browser Chooser where there is a list of URL filters that will trigger certain browsers with a "Browser of Last Resort" for any URL unmatched by the list of filters.  This would change Browser Chooser from an interruption in the workflow to an automated branching process.

Thank you,

- Brad

Coordinator
Dec 4, 2010 at 4:50 AM

Hi Brad,

this feature already exists. Check in the options. You can add a comma-separated list of urls to each configured browser. I use that to always open certain sites in IE, for example. Give it a try!

Jan

Dec 7, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Jan:

I have worked with the comma separated lists of URLs for a few days now and find them to be a good first step.  

However I am looking for something more comprehensive that would allow wildcard matching on the incoming URL to determine which browser to launch.  There should also be an option to designate a "catch-all" browser that will automatically handle all URLs not captured by a more specific filter.  It would probably be easiest to place all the filters in a single option tab using a simple chooser box for the "catch-all" browser and an text box for URL filter tied to a chooser box for which browser to be activated by that filter.

Would that be possible?

Thank you,

- Brad

Mar 11, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I have to agree with the OP. I just assumed wildcard matches would work. What I want is pretty simple...

When any of the configured URLs or patterns are matched, use that browser, otherwise use another one. But I see that now you can't do that.

Perhaps in the future. :)

Mar 30, 2011 at 5:13 AM

I too would like to see this feature come to life. A dialog similar to Internet Options > Security Tab > Lcal Intranet > Sites > Advanced dialog box would work well.

An export/import of the XML file would also be great if you want to move around the settings from PC to PC.

Apr 6, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Note, if you add (for example) company.com to the URL list it will match www.company.com and server101.company.com. So perhaps you don't need a wildcard.