This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.
2
Vote

installation trouble

description

installation seems to go well, until the very end, when it reports that it cannot remove something from registry, and to check that BC is indeed the default browser, then reports that installation was successful. In fact the program works, but BC is not the default browser, and I cannot manage to make it into the default which as you point out makes it rather less useful. I can associate BC with htm and html files but that's not much help

comments

jopeek wrote Sep 23, 2009 at 7:45 AM

What OS are you running? Try to go to the Default Programs entry in the start menu and setting Browser Chooser as the default browser that way.

Alceste wrote Sep 23, 2009 at 8:41 AM

I am running XP (SP3), and I did try what you suggest, alas, Browser Chooser is not offered as an option (only IE FF and Chrome).

wrote Sep 23, 2009 at 8:42 AM

jopeek wrote Sep 23, 2009 at 4:17 PM

That makes sense. XP support is somewhat lacking. See a workaround for setting the default browser in XP here: http://browserchooser.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=67981

Alceste wrote Sep 24, 2009 at 10:52 AM

this helped - thank you
two remaining comments: in the thread you link to, mention is made of config.ini. I could not find it, but this did not matter.
also, the start button default browser was not updated. this has no practical importance at all.
Thnx again!

ivandr wrote Mar 30, 2011 at 6:09 AM

I have a similar problem in my Windows 7 Ent OS.

Install app in elevated state (using a domain account other than the one im logged in as that actually has local admin privilages) and then it tries to remove reg entries that are not there. This is more than likely due to the fact that the elevated user has never logged into this machine before.

I want to be able to configure the app without elevated rights.

wrote Mar 30, 2011 at 6:10 AM

jopeek wrote Mar 30, 2011 at 5:22 PM

Yeah, there are issues with running this in Windows 7 without admin privileges or with UAC turned on. I haven't spent any time on this. If there are any other developers that would like to contribute, please go ahead, the source code is available and I do accept patches :)

wilfriedh wrote Apr 15, 2011 at 1:00 PM

I had similar problems (Win XP Pro SP3).
I installed BC (from admin account), launched BC from restricted user account. BC shows config screen. I choose the browsers, then choose to "make BC default browser".
The file %appdata%\BrowserChooserConfig.xml is created, but it did not make itself default browser.
The problem could be solved by temporarily changing the user account from restricted type to administrator type and repeating the setup with admin rights.

wrote Feb 21, 2013 at 11:50 PM