Error: Browser Chooser has Stopped Working

Jan 18, 2010 at 4:32 PM

I love the browser chooser concept and after being told about it from a coworker, want to get it working on my machine.  However, after installing it on my Windows 7 machine I get the following error every time I try to launch it:

"Browser Chooser has stopped working: A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Please close the program.". 

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling browser chooser, rebooting, etc but to no avail.  The only way I've figured out how to get around this error message is to 'Run as Administrator' every time I launch the program.  Unfortunately that is so cumbersome that it defeats the purpose.

Jul 29, 2010 at 7:17 PM
I'm having this same issue on Windows 7 Enterprise. I suppose I can disable all UAC alerts as a workaround, but am wondering why the program needs to run as administrator in order to work?
Aug 11, 2010 at 4:11 PM
I was able to get Browser Chooser working in Windows 7 with UAC still enabled (as my company imposes I have at least the second-lowest level). - Install Browser Chooser - Enable Portable mode - Copy the Browser Chooser folder to your <user name>/AppData/Local folder - Open the .exe in that folder, go to the settings and have it reset itself as the default browser - Update your Start menu shortcuts to reflect the new location, if you wish
Apr 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I installed Browser Chooser and was getting this error when I clicked on a URL. I changed the following line in BrowserChooserConfig.xml:

  <IamDefaultBrowser>true</IamDefaultBrowser>

to

  <DefaultBrowser>true</DefaultBrowser>

and it seems to have fixed the fault.

Unfortunately, if I change the configuration in Browser Chooser and save the settings the above entry reverts back and I get the error again. However, at least I know what to do to fix it.

Apr 12, 2012 at 4:56 AM
Edited Apr 12, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Thanks for that, billy.  I just updated to the new version and kept getting this error - and I use BC on all my machines, it was frustrating having to set up a default browser again after not having had one for a long time....

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:01 AM
Edited Apr 12, 2012 at 5:02 AM
johnlgalt wrote:

Thanks for that, billy.  I just updated to the new version and kept getting this error - and I use BC on all my machines, it was frustrating having to set up a default browser again after not having had one for a long time....

I tried to be slick and make the file read only, but then it FCs BC on ever run, whether manually run or loading via a clicked link.

FWIW:  that file is located (on Windows 7 machines) in:

X:\Users\{username}\AppData\Roaming\BrowserChooser, where X: is the drive containing the user tree and {username} is your login name.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:10 PM

I tried this on my new Windows 7 Enterprise install, but it didn't work.  Any other ideas?  I'm getting the same error as the OP.

Apr 18, 2012 at 1:15 AM
msmithi33 wrote:

I tried this on my new Windows 7 Enterprise install, but it didn't work.  Any other ideas?  I'm getting the same error as the OP.

You tried Billy's fix and it didn't work?  I'm on 7 Ultimate x64 and it worked here, I don't see why it shouldn't work on Enterprise....

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Just to add another voice to this, Billy's fix worked for me as well. I'm running Windows 7 Professional - 64 bit.

Apr 18, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Ok, finally got it.  At some point I had switched to portable mode, so I was editing the wrong copy of BrowserChooserConfig.xml.

Works like a charm now.  Thanks, all!

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:32 AM

confirm to work for me.
but this is on 30-11-2012, whould have expected this to be fixed in the mean time....? 

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Edited Mar 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Confirmed that the fix from billyc works with the latest release also on Windows 7 x64 Enterprise edition.
Anyway that this will be fixed in a next release?
Mar 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM
I use Win 7 Pro x64 with UAC enabled (with default settings) and so far I've had no issues with Browser Chooser and its default install settings. Granted I have just installed it for a specific URL but it's working great, though it does seem a bit slow.
Jun 3, 2013 at 4:38 PM
My solution for this error is to find the BrowserChooserConfig.xml file in c:\Program Files (x86) and give Full Control permissions to all Users.

It seems to be using a config file in a System directory and require it to be modifiable by a regular user....
Jun 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM
That file not always in that location. For example, in my setup, the .XML file is located at X:\Users{username}\AppData\Roaming\BrowserChooser for me, not C:\Program Files (X86)

And the problem is the BC 1.0.0.15 changed the single parameter as listed above in Billy's post to the unrecognized parameter. 1.0.0.9 does not have this problem.
Nov 11, 2013 at 10:07 PM
With billyc's suggestion above, I got this working for myself. I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro x64. Thanks.
Dec 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Just an FYI for everybody in this thread, I have forked this project over at https://browserchooser2.codeplex.com/ and released an Alpha build that fixes this issue and adds new features.

Head on over there and let me know what you think.