This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

XP

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:48 PM

I'd love to have Windows XP-compatibility as slower pcs /netbooks tend to run xp. It is tedious to wait until the default browser opens (when I'm using a different one), having clicked on a link (e.g. in my instant messaging app). Here your tool would be handy. It does run, is able to start the different browsers, but fails registering as default browser (and is not especially beautiful as XP doesn't support the transparency stuff, but this doesn't matter too much ;-) ).

Sep 8, 2009 at 3:26 AM

I managed to get this running on XP with this free little program: http://wareseeker.com/Network-Internet/defaultbrowser-1.7.zip/1faaa87a2

Use the "other" section to point to the Browser Chooser exe and it works a treat :)

Sep 8, 2009 at 6:25 AM

FINALLY GOT IT WORKING IN XP!! 

Yeah!!!  I LOVE IT!!  I have become to totally and utterly dependent on this on all my Vista PCs, but still have a few XP PCs.  I'm a webmaster, so I test every page in Multiple IE, FF, Chrome, Safari, Flock, and Opera.  The Wareseeker.com address (posted by bhislop) didn't work, but go to Download.com and just search for "DefaultBrowser" (I used version 1.8).

------------------------------------------------

DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS (for XP):

1. Copy your config.ini and Browser Chooser.exe to a folder in XP with proper permissions (I put them in their own folder, in 'Program Files')

2. If you don't have a config.ini already, then configure 'Browser Chooser.exe' and save it (ignore the error message: "An error may have occured registering the file extensions.  You may want to check in the 'Default Programs' option in your start menu to confirm this worked.")

3. Download and run DefaultBrowser.exe and choose the 'other' type by browsing to your 'Browser Chooser.exe' and then hit apply (you won't notice anything different at that point, and even in Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Set Program Access & Default -- it will still just show all your browsers there, and not 'Browser Choose.exe'

4. But open a MS Word doc, create a link, and test it (CTL+click inside MS Word), and you'll see that Browser Chooser opens first, and lets you choose which to hand off the URL address to.

Coordinator
Sep 8, 2009 at 4:32 PM

Thanks for the tips! Hopefully in the future we can improve XP compatibility in Browser Chooser.

Coordinator
Sep 28, 2009 at 12:58 AM
paulrichardson wrote:

FINALLY GOT IT WORKING IN XP!! 

Yeah!!!  I LOVE IT!!  I have become to totally and utterly dependent on this on all my Vista PCs, but still have a few XP PCs.  I'm a webmaster, so I test every page in Multiple IE, FF, Chrome, Safari, Flock, and Opera.  The Wareseeker.com address (posted by bhislop) didn't work, but go to Download.com and just search for "DefaultBrowser" (I used version 1.8).

------------------------------------------------

DETAILED INSTRUCTIONS (for XP):

1. Copy your config.ini and Browser Chooser.exe to a folder in XP with proper permissions (I put them in their own folder, in 'Program Files')

2. If you don't have a config.ini already, then configure 'Browser Chooser.exe' and save it (ignore the error message: "An error may have occured registering the file extensions.  You may want to check in the 'Default Programs' option in your start menu to confirm this worked.")

3. Download and run DefaultBrowser.exe and choose the 'other' type by browsing to your 'Browser Chooser.exe' and then hit apply (you won't notice anything different at that point, and even in Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Set Program Access & Default -- it will still just show all your browsers there, and not 'Browser Choose.exe'

4. But open a MS Word doc, create a link, and test it (CTL+click inside MS Word), and you'll see that Browser Chooser opens first, and lets you choose which to hand off the URL address to.

Note that there is no config.ini anymore, instead it's a .xml file. Just place it in the same folder as the executable and you should be good to go.

Coordinator
Sep 29, 2009 at 12:53 AM

I now have the default browser setting working in XP. It will be included in the next release.