Default browser + PortableApps

Jan 14, 2011 at 2:36 PM

1. I know that Browser Chooser is all about choice, however I am using only one (quite exotic) browser, which I've had a helluva time attempting to designate as default in Win7. How about providing one further tickbox in Browser Chooser's configuration so as to designate one of the browsers as default, hence launch it automatically without having to go through the detour of "choosing"? Would that require a huge amount of coding? Surely, for those eager to choose every time, unticking that box would revert to Browser Chooser's default behavior--i.e. a window pops up, and you choose whichever browser you want. Would it, again, be too hard to provide this choice?

2. Any thoughts on turning this wonderful application into a portable one for PortableApps? That would be awfully nice.

Many thanks for a wonderful application!

Coordinator
Jan 17, 2011 at 3:14 PM

1. Under the Miscellaneous settings you can set what browser to open urls that are not defined to be opened in another browser. I'm currently using it like that, specified urls open in IE, the rest in Chrome.

2. There's some rudimentary options there about using it in portable mode, give it a try.

Jan 17, 2011 at 7:08 PM
jopeek wrote:

1. Under the Miscellaneous settings you can set what browser to open urls that are not defined to be opened in another browser. I'm currently using it like that, specified urls open in IE, the rest in Chrome.

For the life of me, I can't find the setting you're talking about. Is that "Open Intranet Urls in:"? Or Show URL? I tried all options, after I specified "http://www.microsoft.com/" in IE's tab. Otherwise, the most important thing about a portable application, as far as I am concerned, is that you don't need to go to the trouble to install it. You may, hence, want to look into building a PortableApps application in the future. Just something to think about. Many thanks.

Jan 26, 2011 at 3:04 PM
Edited Jan 26, 2011 at 6:43 PM
  1. Alright, now I see there's a portable executable download. Questions: (a) is that genuinely portable, i.e. does it not leave any traces on the hard drive? (b) could you please design future portable versions so as to place the configuration file (BrowserChooserConfig.xml) in a separate folder than the executable file (BrowserChooser.exe)? (Meaning if "\" is where the executable is, "\Settings" could be where BrowserChooserConfig.xml should be.)
  2. I am still not sure what you meant by "Under the Miscellaneous settings you can set what browser to open urls that are not defined to be opened in another browser. I'm currently using it like that, specified urls open in IE, the rest in Chrome." Don't you mean "the rest with Browser Chooser" instead of "the rest in Chrome"? I just can't see how, using Browser Chooser, you could designate Chrome to automatically open all URLs not specified in IE's list! I'd certainly appreciate a clarification.